San Diego Repertory Theatre produces intimate, provocative, inclusive theatre. We promote an interconnected community through vivid works that nourish progressive political and social values and celebrate the multiple voices of our region. San Diego Repertory Theatre feeds the curious soul.
In the spirit of this mission, The REP seeks and selects local artists and arts organizations to partner with in order to display visual art that encourages dialogue and engagement around each play staged throughout our production season. The intent of the Lyceum lobby galleries is to enhance the visitor experience at the theatre and to create an immersive environment in which visitors can make more intimate connections to the works on stage.
During our production season, The REP produces six plays. For each play we host two visual art exhibitions in our lobby spaces. The REP also produces a Jewish Arts Festival every summer in which we showcase Jewish artwork of various media. If you are interested in potentially showing artwork during the Festival, please contact the Curator directly.
Art installations and exhibitions in the Upper and Lower Lyceum lobbies are scheduled through the Audience Engagement Curator. Exhibitors must fill out applications for these spaces, available on our website. We will begin accepting applications for Season 44 exhibitions on March 11, 2019 with a deadline of April 30, 2019.
In selecting exhibits, San Diego Repertory Theatre will take into consideration:
1. Quality of artwork
2. Overall community interest
3. Artist or arts organization’s relevance to themes and subjects surrounding the play in production
4. Previous exhibitions by the same artist, lender, or organization
5. If the artist or organization has shown their work at The REP in previous seasons, and how recently
6. Special needs, costs, or requests associated with proposed exhibits
The scheduling of exhibitions is dependent on The REP’s production calendar and dates for individual exhibitions will be given to artists when confirmed. All exhibitions are subject to the availability of the Lyceum Lobby and scheduling is subject to alteration.
- The REP has two gallery spaces, the Lyceum Upper and Lower Lobbies.
- The Upper Lobby space is intended for artist exhibitions that are not play specific. If an artist would simply like to showcase their own work (not specifically related to a current production) the artist should apply for an exhibition in the Upper Lobby.
- The Lower Lobby space is intended for art exhibitions that are thematically linked to the production that is on stage at the time of the exhibition. If an artist is interested in doing play specific artwork for the Lower Lobby, the artist will need to choose which of the season’s plays they are most interested in based on the description that we release when we announce our season. Scripts may be available to read or purchase online. If an artist has trouble locating a script, the Curator may be able to provide a copy. In some cases, a script may not be available.
Depending on the varying size of artist work, the number of pieces that may be shown in each lobby at any given time will vary from exhibition to exhibition. Generally, each exhibition contains an average of 25 pieces.
- Shows: 2019-2020
- The Klezmer Accordion with Yale Strom and Hot Pstromi
- 33 1/3 - House of Dreams
- DREAM HOU$E
- To Saints and Stars
- Aztec Pirates & the Insignificance of Life on Mars
- 57 Chevy
- Laughs in Spanish
- Hershey Felder as Monsieur Chopin
- Bad Hombres/Good Wives
- Hold These Truths
- The Humans
- House of Joy
- Hershey Felder A PARIS LOVE STORY
- Special Events
- Lyceum Events
- Buy Tickets