A bewitching and beautiful meditation on motherhood, love and letting go as two parents decide whether their 3-year-old son should move to India to train as a Buddhist master.
The Oldest Boy
Directed bySam Woodhouse
Showing:November 12 - December 6, 2015
About the Show
"Gorgeous! Extremely imaginative and hypnotically beautiful." — VARIETY
"Bewitching, seriously moving and ingenious." — NEWSDAY
One morning a young American mother finds two crimson-robed strangers—a monk and a lama—at her door. She assumes them to be friends of her Tibetan husband. But they are really on a mission to meet her 3-year-old son Tenzin, a child that is wise beyond his years. They soon reveal they believe the boy is the reincarnation of a high Buddhist teacher. When the monks request to take Tenzin away for a life of spiritual training in India, the parents are faced with a choice that will test their faith and their hearts and change their family forever.
This delicate comic drama weaves together music, dance, puppetry, intimate moments and infinite meanings. The result is a richly emotional journey filled with laughter and tears of joy.
The Oldest Boy is an extraordinary new play from a one- of-a-kind playwright about walking the tightrope between loving and letting go.
San Diego REPertory Theatre's Co-Founder and Artistic Director SAM WOODHOUSE and The Oldest Boy Actor, Choreographer, and Cultural Consultant TSERING DORJEE BAWA sit down with KUSI's ELIZABETH ALVAREZ to discuss The Oldest Boy.
The MacArthur “genius”, Tony nominated and two time Pulitzer Prize finalist and author of In the Next Room, or the vibrator Play and The Clean House, two REP audience favorites.
The Oldest Boy artwork is provided courtesy of Marin Theatre Company.
- Shows: 2018-2019
- Nathan Gunn FLYING SOLO
- The 25th Annual Lipinsky Family San Diego Jewish Arts Festival Gala
- Elon Gold: Pro-Semite, An Evening of Comedy with Elon Gold
- The 17th Annual Klezmer Summit
- The Ancient Law (Das alte Gesetz) With Live Score performed by Donald Sosin and Alicia Svigals
- 9th Annual Women of Valor
- Teatro Punto y Coma present The Mudanza, An Unapologetic Bilingual Play
- In Every Generation
- From Rags to Riches! A Musical Journey with Jacquelyne Silver
- Perla Batalla in The House of Cohen
- Losing the Nobel Prize
- Andy Statman: An American Musical Treasure
- Fun Home
- A Dolls House, Part 2
- Hershey Felder, Beethoven
- Special Events
- Lyceum Events
- Buy Tickets